Home Census Tanzania: Census awareness impresses Z’bar vice-president

Tanzania: Census awareness impresses Z’bar vice-president

0

ZANZIBAR First Vice President, Mr. Othman Masoud Othman expressed satisfaction with the growing public awareness of the National Population and Housing Census scheduled for the end of this year.

The Vice President expressed his satisfaction when he met the Census Commissioner (Zanzibar), Ambassador Mohammed Haji Hamza, who visited him at his office to brief him on the progress of the preparations for the census.

He commended the continuous efforts and political will of leaders at different levels to educate and explain to the people the importance of the exercise for national development.

“It is encouraging to see that the awareness campaign and advocacy programs have shown success. Thanks to the political leaders, NGOs and cadres led by the census commissioners,” Othman said.

The First Vice President also explained how the ongoing National Addressing and Postcode System (NAPS) will also help ensure the success of the planned population and housing census.

“The successful implementation of the NAPS is a crucial step towards an effective population and housing census,” he said, urging census officials to identify the various challenges that might arise during the preparation and actual counting.

Mr. Othman mentioned that some of the challenges that may put people off are the presence of some citizens who so far do not have the required Zanzibari Resident Identity Card (ZanID). He advised the respective authorities to ensure that every Zanzibari of the required age obtains the identity card without delay.

In response, Ambassador Hamza explained that the pilot census was a success and the process of allocating census areas in Zanzibar is now 100% complete.

“A team of experts from the Office of the Chief Statistician of the Government of Zanzibar was sent to mainland Tanzania to share their experience on census and area delineation,” he noted.

Mr. Hamza said his office continues to seek additional funds for the census as the government has allocated 70%, and the remaining 30% is expected to be collected from donors/development partners and other stakeholders.

He noted that the census must be a success because public awareness is high and efforts by leaders to mobilize the community have been good.