The City of Fairfax and area is under a wind advisory from Thursday evening through Friday morning, forecasting winds of 20-30 mph gusting up to 50 mph, and expected to be at its highest late overnight. This could blow around unsecured objects and cause tree branches to fall which could affect power lines.
In addition, the forecast calls for isolated cases of wind damage on Saturday afternoon and evening in the region.
To report dangerous road conditions or downed limbs and other hazards in the City of Fairfax public right-of-way, please call police dispatch at 703-385-7924.
In an emergency, dial 911.
Here are some tips from the Office of Emergency Management and FEMA. Click on the picture (left) for a downloadable PDF of the city’s high wind safety checklist.
- To watch NOAA Weather Radio or other trusted weather information providers.
- Bring pets inside.
- Secure or bring indoors loose items from patios, balconies and backyards.
- Avoid working in unsecured places, especially at height
- Minimize outdoor activities for the whole family, including pets.
- Be prepared for possible widespread power outages.
- Keep electronic devices (phones, in particular) charged in the event of a power outage.
- Keep a written list of important emergency resources, including repair resources, in case electrical and internet services are down.
- To monitor or report utility outages, visit Dominion Power Outage Center and the Fairfax Water Customer Service.
- Make sure standby generators and/or secondary heating systems are well ventilated.
- Keep extra water in the house (at least one gallon per person per day) in case utilities are compromised.
- As is safe to do, check on neighbors who might need help or attention.
Stay Informed: Sign up for Fairfax City Alert, the city’s e-mail alert system, and pay attention to trusted news sources for additional weather and emergency information.
If you haven’t already, consider creating a family emergency plan to stay prepared in case of an emergency. Contact the Emergency Management Office during regular business hours for information: email, 703-385-4856.