The government has said some census-related databases and the National Population Register (NPR) as a critical information infrastructure. In a recently published notification, the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) says that the decision was taken after exercising the powers conferred on him under the Information Technology Act 2000 (amended 2008).
What the government did:
The Center declares the IT resources relating to the Census monitoring and management system, self-enumeration and Civil Registration System (CRS) Web Portalsmobile apps for house listing, population count and NPR update as you go critical information infrastructure (CII) of the Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, he said.
The related databases, including the NPR database, the census database and the CRS database, the computer means set up and installed at the National Data Centerthe Registrar General and Census Commissioner’s Office, Delhi, Disaster Recovery Site and Data Centers in Bengaluru and Lucknow have also been declared CIIs, according to the notification.
About the census:
- The first census was taken in India in 1872 (although not synchronous in different parts) during the reign of Governor-General Lord Mayo.
- The new Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner initiated and completed the first Census of India in 1881.
- With a history of over 130 years, it has proven to be a reliable drill that is conducted every 10 years.
- The Census Act, enacted in 1948then scheduled for permanent population census program with the duties and responsibilities of enumerators.
- Individual data collected in the census under the Census Act 1948 are not made public in accordance with the provisions contained in the act.
- Individual data is not used for the preparation of another database, including the National Register of Citizens (NRC). Only aggregate census data at various administrative levels are released.
2021 census vs previous editions:
- Numerical data:
- This is the first time that data is collected digitally via mobile apps (installed on the interviewer’s phone) with a working layout in offline mode.
- It would be help to reduce the delay and have the results almost immediately, unlike previous cases where it took several years for data to be analyzed and reports published.
- Census Monitoring and Management Portal:
- It will act as a Single Source all officers/officials involved in census activities to provide multilingual support.